Designed by Don Albinson in 1964, these chairs, known as Model #1601, were produced by Knoll from 1965-1974.
<The shell is made of injection molded plastic with a slight texture on a die cast aluminum frame.
<Note the great detail on the side of the frame.
<Knoll and Associates mark on bottom.
<Nylon swivel guides are needed
<Chairs in good vintage condition, with natural patina.
<Seat height: 17 3/4 inches
- 21 inches wide
- 21 1/2 inches deep
<Back height: 32 inches
Like so many early Knoll employees, Don Albinson studied design at the Cranbrook Academy of Art where he met and worked under Eero Saarinen and Charles Eames. He was instrumental in helping Eames and Saarinen fabricate their award-winning collection of chairs for the 1940 Organic Home Furnishings Competition. When Eames moved to California, Albinson joined him to help develop methods of molding fiberglass shells. Albinson was always known as “a tool guy” — a mechanical genius and a brilliant problem solver.
It was these qualities that would lead Knoll to seek out Albinson. In the mid 1960s Knoll was developing three highly innovative products — the Petitt Chair, the Pollock Chair and the Platner Collection — and needed someone of Albinson’s caliber to bring these technically challenging designs to market. Albinson was brought on to direct the Design/Development group at Knoll, a title he held from 1964-1971. Shortly after his arrival, Albinson introduced his own design, an ingenious molded plastic stacking chair.